Sunday, September 5, 2021

Growing Older.....Please stand up, please stand up !

 (Hint: Read with your musical hat on...)

IMAGINE...You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one.
Abah, in my chat-groups, I posted this video of the young (old)man saying.... he can dance, he can jive...having the time of his life. And I added, I see myself doing that at 75.
Some replied saying, "you can dance meh?"
So I posted the pic below of my dancing when I was perhaps 16. I was the only boy continually invited to the KKB school's female prefects' parties those days and I wasn't complaining. (This was the time when ABBA, Alleycats and BeeGees were at their peak). Oh, incidentally, I was nicknamed "Bones" or "Boney"....I'll let you ponder over the reason:).
Another secret out: Ganesh (my best mate till today and the school captain then) and I, somehow always had co-curricular activies like picnics, swimming (in the river, lakes etc) with the cutest girls in class and somehow, no other boys were invited, I mean had similar schedules...sheer coincidence I say! Back then, we were really dirt poor but boy or boy.....we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun. When the city slicker were talking about the bird and bees, we had long caught and tamed them in our early teens. So much for being an old fashioned kampong boy.
And a year or so later, I got a scholarship to study in Raffles College Singapore and the Dean, welcomed me by saying "Son, don't be shy. I know it must be a shock for a small town boy a big city environment. Besides the serious college environment, you will get to see heady lights, ladies and some party scene too". I meekly nodded my head and said "Yes Sir. It was "syiok"..... COMING in KKB".....till today, god bless Mr.Morsbergen's soul, I don't think he ever understood my reply:)
The saddest part about growing old(er) is that young(er) people think we oldies have stopped having fun (see video below of those that still do) - I often tell Wei Ling that I still feel 26 but she reminds me that my legs prove I got the numbers in reverse. But, you and I know, how the heartaches come and they go and the scars they're leaving..you'll be dancing once again and the pain will end. You will have no time for grieving....
But....my friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case (and boy, have I had a few), of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full (been there, seen that, done almost everything), I traveled each and every highway (perhaps in about 75 countries). And more, much more than this, I did it my way.
All the oldies that still feel young, all the single ladies..... please stand up, please stand up...
(See Papa, I can write on non controversial subjects too!)







No comments:

Welcome to the Islamic Republic of GAZA

Suggestion to manage Gaza after the current war with Israel:  1) Compel Israel to rebuild the border wall so that Gaza becomes like Berlin b...