Monday, January 3, 2022

WHITE's ONLY ?

 I first saw this signage at the Royal Selangor Club in mid 1984 when I was a junior accountant accompanying my boss for his daily business "meetings" at the Long Bar. (I was the designated driver then).

Even then, still in my late teens, I could not understand how such an obnoxious policy could exist in these times. But those were the days when we did not question our bosses. But this sign left a BIG impression on me.
Of course, I've heard the many justifications (mostly anecdotal I suspect) such as from sparing the ladies the "spirited" words the men may use when in exuberant company at the Long Bar and so on. And of course the famous bartender on duty who bat a century for the menfolk when their wives called.
I also heard that in the 90's, some lady members of the Club did try to have this biased policy removed by taking it to the Courts but unfortunately, the sitting judge who was a member of the Club was not in favour of abandoning the much revered "tradition".....probably anecdotal again.
In any case, on 1 Jan 2022, I saw that this sign was still on the wall of the Long Bar but someone told me that it was a celebration because the new Committee (elected on 19 Dec 2021) had decided to cancel this policy and indeed, it was a great day for equality.
Personally I was happy that sanity finally prevailed. Any discriminatory policy is downright offensive to the concepts of freedom and justice. I also recall, about 5 years ago I was showing the wife of a very good friend from Australia around the Club and she asked me if the sign was for real and expressed disgust when I replied in the affirmative. I wasn't able to justify and did not wish to as I shared her view. In fact, whenever WL and I go to the Long Bar, we would BOTH sit in the verandah outside as a mark of respect for her, even when some friends are at the bar inside. I just cannot condone such a policy of exception when we are supposed to be "gentlemen".
To be sure of this new development, today I checked again with a member of the club's Committee and he replied that the policy (Article 32.1 - "men only") remains. So whoever that informed me otherwise, was,....spiritedly exuberant. So I am taken back to my thoughts in 1984 and now.
I do hope that a call for equality to all will prevail - even if it has taken some 138 years !
Just imagine if the signage read "Non Caucasians are not allowed". Afterall, this was the tradition at the Club till about 1920. Would we gentlemen remain silent?






1 comment:

Unraveled For Strangers said...

Agree that this is downright insulting! It’s a disgrace that we are still unable to resolve basic a ‘human rights’ issue. (Although sitting with the men for drinks isn’t the most serious concern of the day, considering the superlative nonsenses we have to put up with these days). I guess in some circles/minds ladies are subhuman!

Welcome to the Islamic Republic of GAZA

Suggestion to manage Gaza after the current war with Israel:  1) Compel Israel to rebuild the border wall so that Gaza becomes like Berlin b...