Sunday, April 5, 2020

TRUE LIES ?


No, before someone accuses me of having had one too many before writing this...I did not. I am having my FIRST beer for the day. Are we living in the real world, or one that is made up of repeated and collective lies - thus marring reality? I recall a movie like this once.
Over the past few weeks, the preponderance of FAKE messages was, at first, amusing; then worrisome, and now...has become unacceptable. Just like you, sometimes (rare as it is), I too have been fooled and have misadvertently, with good intention no doubt, forwarded it: Only to be embarrassed later to find out that I have been conned. Why do we then forward it without checking ? Some of the reasons could be:
1) Sounded so REAL so must be true (generally applies to uncles/aunties who blindly forward)
2) The person (close friend, family, scientists, doctor etc) who sent it to me must have checked
3) I hate Indians, so this article supports my view and I'll spread it
4) America must be right, so this must be true
5) It's the Chinese's fault so this must be true
6) It's fun (actually said to me by someone) to read/spread fake news
7) Haven't a clue but written well so must be true
8) I'm an idiot, don't know how/where to check in this transparent world
9) I like doing it because I'm bored and being a "postman" is the only life I have now
10) I created it, and now it's come back to me
Whatever the reason(s), to a large extent, the crisis has unearthed our inner feelings. We spread the news because the devil (for want of a better word) inside says, let's do it. Arguably, boredom does play a major role in this mischief.
And the lack of credible resources to cross check veracity. In this respect, having an opinion on matter, no matter how diabolical, is excluded as being fake news. Obviously we all cannot share a similar opinion and therefore, profering a contrarion stand is nothing unusual. It's when you self-endorse your opinion with a "NASA confirmed it" type of stamp, then it becomes very telling.
I'm writing this because I'm just fed up of "news" that are self serving and not credible. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a humorous piece of fake news too.
Just venting my frustrations at the unbridled stupidity that's spreading faster than Covid - and many people falling for it.
Chris Madden Cartoons — A searchable archive for licensing

No comments:

Welcome to the Islamic Republic of GAZA

Suggestion to manage Gaza after the current war with Israel:  1) Compel Israel to rebuild the border wall so that Gaza becomes like Berlin b...